"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chasing Famous Monsters #30



In reading the G-FAN #87 summary by Ryan Clark that I posted today, this item caught my eye: Chasing FM #30 by Mike Bogue. Why would Godzilla fans want an issue with a Bela Lugosi Dracula cover?

It contains an article on the making of Godzilla and its sequels, so that is why this issue is sought after by Godzilla fans. Checking around, I noticed several copies of Famous Monsters of Filmand #30 are up for auction at eBay.

Another issue of Famous Monsters that Godzilla fans seek is issue #114. Fortunately, I have this issue (I have it packed away somewhere, but I do have it.) It is an issue devoted to the Japanese giant monster genre. It may be more sought after than #30. And, no, mine isn't for sale, sorry.

Above, FM #114.

I bought this issue when it came out on the newsstand. Note the $1.25 cover price!

Nevertheless, both issues of Famous Monsters are collectors items that serious Godzilla fans seek to complete their collections.

Do you have either issue? If so, feel free to post on how you obtained it, when and how much you paid for it.

3 comments:

August Ragone said...

Armand,
These aren't so hard to find... and if all you are interested is the article on "How They Made Godzilla", it was reprinted in the 1970s in #110, which can be obtained a lot more cheaply than either #30 or #114.

I purchased my copies when they were brand-new, and have been able to pick up additional copies for archival purposes at conventions such as WonderCon and San Diego Comic Con over the last 15 years. I've never paid more than $20 for these additional copies of #110 and #114. #30 is a different matter.

You can find these pop up on eBay (there are 5 copies of #30, 14 of #110 and 6 of #114 up as of today).

Best,
August

Armand Vaquer said...

Yup! You're right, they are out there and available. I mentioned #30 already, but thanks for mentioning that #110 and #114 are available on eBay.

We were lucky to be around to pick up our copies at newsstand prices. #114 came out in 1975, so I am guessing #110 was out around 1974.

Jeff said...

I would put issue 39 with the Toho Frankestein on that list. I'm not sure of the number. The issue with the Triffids, #116, had some Kaiju material.

Jeff

Search This Blog