"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, May 11, 2009

Taking Stands

Since I posted the story behind the Sony Toho Classics set, some of the message boards are starting to discuss the matter.

Naturally, opinions on this subject are varied. On one board, a poster wrote:

By the sounds of it, it's simply a case of stupid fanboys who are upset because "their guys" didn't make, or weren't asked to do, a commentary. Big whoop. That article actually got me upset as to why some people were boycotting the Classic Media releases and some may even boycott this Sony set.

It's stupid and not a big deal. Fans need to get off their high horses and at least be thankful that we're getting releases of three classic films...that is, until some stupid fanboys come along and ruin it for those of us who don't give a damn as to who is doing commentary. We just want our damn movies.

To all those involved in making this process much more difficult than it has to be: SHUT THE **** UP!


Is it all well and good that he/she is getting "our damn movies" no matter who is getting screwed in the process through questionable ethics? Is it also good to stifle dissent to boot? It must be okay, just as long as they get what they want. (A selfish, sycophantic attitude.) They may not like what they hear, but they will hear it from those who won't put up with it anymore. How dare they tell anyone to shut up?! (Don't like it? Don't read it. Simple.)

Then, on another board, there are some who are troubled by what has transpired:

This kind of thing infects all fandoms, but it is especially sad when it's such a small fandom as ours. It's practically dead with nothing but re-releases and rumors being the only real news the past few years, and yet this stuff still plagues us.


August Ragone's only public comment has been this:

Ted,
They're trying to stonewall others from contributing. Last summer, I was told by Mike S. that he would have everyone contribute, and then this happens... Can you say, "Classic Media"?

Something is rotten.


I also received similar assurances from Schlesinger last year. I have to take him at his word of his intent. It does appear that someone went over his head on the project for the decision.

It is easy to pooh-pooh things like this when it isn't their ox that's getting gored. But if something like this should happen to them, in either their personal or business lives, will they scream bloody murder or just bend over and take it? As I said before, I am not advocating boycotts or anything of the kind. That's a decision each individual has to make for themselves. I plan to buy the set. Nobody is forcing me to listen to a commentary.

There are those who have the balls to take a stand, and there are those who don't.

My dad had a funny saying, "Don't let them shit on you! Open your mouth."

5 comments:

Godzilla2000master said...

Another nice blog post Armand!

As for the blog post from the "unkown poster", I do say that it is not me. The only thing I publicly commented on was the boycott rumors. I actualy feel sad that August lost out on something and last night I sent him a message. I feel sorry for him. After writing a book, being part of this DVD would have been awesome. :(

As for the quote, "They're trying to stonewall others from contributing," I am actualy kind of sad. Ask anyone who knows me: I have always wanted to contribute to the fandom and become a future contributor to G-FAN magazine with many people, mainly Keith Aiken and David Kalat being my main idols. But is this quote really showing what is to become of my dream? I try to contribute and I get stonewalled? Makes me sad that my dream may turn into this.

As for information reguarding the Mothra DVD mix up, I am relived that this thing has been going on since last year. Three months ago, I wrote four pages of liner notes for Mothra and I e-mailed them to sclesinger on 3-8-09. I can safley asure that since I have not real leverage in the kaiju fandom like what Mr. Ryfle, Mr. Godziszewski, and Mr. Ragone have - my liner notes shall not be used. But I still feel sad for Mr. Ragone and what has become of contributors who might get "stonewalled" for there gracious efforts weather it be reporting news, offering new information on vintage films, or just reviewing products.

Armand Vaquer said...

Thanks for the compliments!

There are those who are hell-bent in being the "big cheeses" in G-fandom. They have nothing to do with G-FAN, the magazine (their choice). All contributions are welcome (if you need help on a submission, let me know).

I pointed out in the Toho/Sony DVD blog that we at G-FAN/G-FEST aren't the "campus snobs" that you have to concern yourself with (just ask August).

The "stonewalling" comes from former associates of August's. It is they who feel that it is their turf and nobody's else's. Don't worry about them, karma has a way of taking care of things.

Godzilla2000master said...

Depending on who reads this, I actualy need help on something: someone who likes my past kaiju papers wanted me to write one on the original Gamera. Being a challengin task, I said yes. While I have a rough draft going, all I have for sources is liner notes from the Giant Monster Gamera laserdisc, an interview on monsterzero.us, and a tip August gave me. I asked Avery G. for information from Galbraith's "Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo".

And plus, I sent in an interview from Dana Foreman which I sent to JD Lees, but it has not been published yet. It was sent in 3-3-09. He said, "Got it. Very Interesting. Thanks very much." Unless it is something involved with the scare of G-FAN maybe switching publishers/quit being published, I do not think he took it very seriously. Wouldn't be surprised though. After all, I don't got much to show for.

Armand Vaquer said...

The next issue should be coming out just before G-FEST XVI (end of June). If you sent it in around 3/8, then it may be in that issue.

Don't get discouraged. Sometimes articles get bumped due to news or something. It happens to all of us and I've been at it for around nine years.

If you need any help, like proof-reading or something, let me know.

JD doesn't just say "very interesting" without actually meaning it. If he finds something interesting, he'll say so and mean it.

Godzilla2000master said...

Ok, thanks!

Search This Blog