"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, October 30, 2009

First Japan Trip Memories - Part Two

Above, the Imperial Palace moat.

First Japan Trip Memories - Part Two

by Armand Vaquer

Zig-zagging on side streets from Shibuya to Nakano in Tokyo at night (and in the rain) was an interesting experience. But we made it safely to Nakano for a dinner party at a Chinese restaurant at the Broadway Mall, which is famous for the several Mandarake and other Japanese toy stores.

The gathering consisted of about 25-30 of us and included Ken Satsuma, the Heisei series Godzilla suit actor. Also attending were Hiroko Sakurai from the Ultra Q television series and the Doughertys of Clawmark Toys.

Above, Hiroko Sakurai at the dinner party in Nakano. Photo courtesy of Clawmark Toys.

The next day, I elected to take a jaunt on the bullet train (Shinkansen) to Atami and then catch a local commuter train from there to do some picture-taking of Mt. Fuji. Unfortunately, the skies were cloudy and the mountain was obscured.

I headed back to Atami and wandered around in its outside shopping mall and the shore. From Atami's shoreline, one can see Oshima Island in the distance with Mt. Mihara. This was the location in Return of Godzilla (a.k.a. Godzilla 1985) where Godzilla is lured to the island and topples into the volcano's caldera.

Above, Oshima Island from Atami.

From the shore, I took pictures of Atami Castle, which is perched on a hilltop overlooking the town. Atami Castle was destroyed at the end of King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962).

Above, Atami Castle overlooks the town.

The next day, I considered making a trip to Sendai to see the city where my dad was stationed briefly during the Korean War, but I was coming down with a flu, so I stayed in Tokyo instead. I eventually went to Sendai in 2006. I wandered around the Diet Building and The Imperial Palace. I also went to Nakano to the Mandarake stores and picked up a few G-goods.

Above, the Imperial Palace moat.

That evening, the flu hit hard and I didn't feel like doing anything but sleep. The next day, I wasn't feeling that much better, but went with Richard Pusateri and Dave Chapple to Nakano for more shopping at the toy stores there. The flu sapped my energy and all I wanted to do was sleep. So I sat in an out-of-way place (as much as possible) and took a snooze. Richard said I looked like a homeless person there.

We went to a coffee shop at the Broadway Mall and it as there that I started feeling better and my energy was returning. I suspect that I caught the bug on the plane to Japan. Since then, I start a regimen a week or two before a trip by taking Vitamin C every day and continue to do so during the trip to build up my resistance. I have not gotten sick since on any subsequent Japan vacations. Plus, I take along home remedies for any possible maladies that may crop up, just in case. One learns from experience!

The last day of the trip was the next day and I spent it wandering around Ginza, Tokyo Tower and the Zojo-ji Temple.

As I was in-between jobs during the trip (I should write a book on "International Travel While Unemployed"), I had to make this trip a short one. But it was still a great experience to go to another country. Except for the 24-hour flu bug I came down with, it was an enjoyable trip. I eventually returned to Japan in 2004 with G-TOUR.

2 comments:

Evan Brehany said...

Just got done reading both parts. I got to say, I love reading your blogs like this. You learn Japanese lexicon and you also find out about places and such. Though since you brought it up, how was it like in the Mandrake store? And have you ordered from them online? (they do have an english site with US shipping)...

Armand Vaquer said...

There's several Mandarake stores at the Broadway mall (there's one in Shibuya). Each specializes in different things. One may be for books and periodicals (manga, etc.), another would contain anime goods, while another would have kaiju toys. No, I've never ordered from them online and I am not aware if they have an English site. You may want to Google them and see.

Search This Blog