"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Moving Right Along...

Above, the last photo of my mom (with my Aunt Rose), which was taken on Christmas Day 2009. Unfortunately, the settings on my camera were knocked askew, that's why it came out so messed up. I don't remember if I took it or a cousin did.

Progress has been made on dealing with Mom's estate matters. I fully know what to do concerning her bank accounts and I think I may have found a good probate attorney in Nebraska to deal with matters concerning the farm.

It is surreal to think that she'll have been gone a week as of tomorrow morning. The initial shock has worn off and I am a lot more functional and can focus on important matters. Even my sense of humor has roared back (read my post on the meeting at the mortuary for some details).

The gang at work presented me with two sympathy cards and took up a collection. That was really nice of them! That will really be a big help when rent is due as I lost some work time and the company has no bereavement benefits.

The latest issue of G-FAN arrived the other day. At present, I will refrain from reviewing it here as the lingering effects of "The Christmas Day Massacre" are still present. I will say the cover by Chris Scalf is very striking. One of his best ever! I will acknowledge that I received a very nice note of condolence from J. D. Lees a few days ago. Where this will eventually lead to is anyone's guess, but it was very thoughtful of him to do so.

The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan has been selling. As soon as the dust clears in relation to my mom's passing, funeral and liquidation of her personal effects, I will concentrate my attention to it. I am starting to think ahead to a possible trip to Japan at the end of the year. I asked Amber to come along if I go, but she doesn't like to fly. We'll see what transpires between now and then. This also reminds me: I'll have to renew my U.S. Passport in 2011. It is hard to believe that nine years have passed since I first got it.

I've competed the memorial card last night that will be handed out at Mom's funeral services. I did a similar one for my dad ten years ago and, like it, will include a photograph.

Los Angeles, as you've heard, is saturated by the several storms that have passed through. I wished I had my camera the other day when the clouds broke and there was a spectacular view of Mt. Wilson with a dusting of snow shining in the light from the setting sun. I've had no problems with the rain, although my apartment's parking lot tends to turn into a lake during heavy rains.

I have to start preparing for the move-out party at my mom's apartment set for this Saturday. My family will be gathering to assist and a pot-luck will be included. From what I hear, some fine goodies are in store!

The election results in Massachusetts on Tuesday would have pleased my mom greatly. Maybe now some sanity will return to Capitol Hill.

That's it for now.

No comments:

Search This Blog