"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

G-Fest and "The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan"



Many people have asked me if I will be attending G-Fest this year to sell The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan there. I wasn't going to post anything about it here, but as I have received many queries of my plans, I thought it best to address it now as the convention is two months away.

One recent message I received is as follows:

As for the whole thing about not being welcome that just depends on who you're talking to, I'm pretty sure the only folks that wouldn't want you there are J.D. & Brett so that's just two people out of 1,000 or more. Just avoid those two and hang out with the rest of us. Think it over, you've still got time.


While that does sound great, and I do appreciate the sentiment, the problem is that one of them is the head of the convention and the other thinks he is (at least according to what was said last year to Dutch Desentis), but he can be ignored with no difficulty. Plus, several others have received messages indicating that they aren't welcome to G-Fest for one reason or another (and, no, I have not received any such message). This is causing others to re-think their attendance because, to them, the atmosphere has been poisoned. Some are opting to go to the Famous Monsters Convention in Indianapolis instead. Others have been thrown "under the bus" I have since learned.

Since the "Christmas Day Massacre," I've been concentrating on my own interests and getting more satisfaction out of that. My mom's death in January put things into sharper perspective on what's really important in life. In other words, I've got bigger fish to fry.

I haven't spoken to J. D. since December, with the exception of an exchange of condolence messages, so I don't know where he's at on all of this. I should note that J. D. lost his dad late last year (I didn't find out about it until after my mom died in January), which may have caused him some grief-related stresses. I went through this, which started shortly before "The Massacre" when my mom's final illness started. So I can cut him some slack to a degree.

Am I going to G-Fest? The answer is no. Will this mean that The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan won't be available there? The answer is also no.

The good news is that I have been in discussions with several dealers who will sell The Guide at their dealers room tables. So fans will get the opportunity to pick up a copy at G-Fest! See? There are ways of working around things!

3 comments:

Jay said...

You're not the first to split with the heads of G-FEST, but you've definitely been among the classiest about it. You'll be missed in Chicago, Armand, I'd still love to see you show up anyway, but I respect your decision. I'll definitely get your book that weekend, I'll just have to get it signed some other time.

Any chance you can steal away Takarada-sama to Indianapolis? I might join you then.

Armand Vaquer said...

I've no plans to go to Indianapolis. I had considered it but the funds just aren't available for the trip. Although my mom left me a a healthy estate, primarily farm property, much of the available funds had to go towards state property taxes and I was recently socked with an inheritance tax. I will be in better financial shape next year and will likely attend some events and a trip to Japan. I will have a better idea on things this coming October when it's harvest season. Hopefully, we'll have a good crop and the market prices will be good.

Jay said...

Gotcha. Sorry I misread you there.

Still wanting to make my own return to Japan, but other events (including a certain con that still gets great guests despite the folks in charge) keep coming up.

Search This Blog