"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Blackmailer Wannabe



Some guys just never learn. I wasn't going to say anything further on the matter, but Brett Homenick still doesn't know when to stop and back off. Instead of letting things die naturally, he decided to attack me on his blog.

A year and a half ago, I set up a MySpace page for G-FAN as a gift to J. D. Lees as the mag didn't have a presence there and to boost circulation. I got the page set up and was in the process of getting friends (primarily vendors such as comic book dealers, etc.). The plan was to get about 25 of them and present it to J. D. and give him "the keys" to the site (i.e., the pass codes, etc), which I did. However, he felt that he could not devote the time to it necessary and we agreed to eliminate it. He did appreciate the gesture.

Brett Homenick took it upon himself to blow the whistle on the site before I was ready. Naturally, he was unaware of the plan at hand. Still, he could have checked with me first. I was annoyed a little. I got on his case about it, but had he picked up on some clues in my emails, he would have gathered that I wasn't totally frosted. I was just going to make my point and let the matter drop.

Instead, he started hurling insults and made a blackmail threat. Another case of Brett Homenick going too far after poking his nose where it doesn't belong.

A year before (around March or April 2008), I was working on what ultimately became The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan. I originally proposed it as a special edition of G-FAN, totally separate from the quarterly magazine, in writing via email. J. D. accepted the proposal and I began working on it. We were in contact about different subjects that should be included during that time (he gave me information on places that I didn't even know about).

About three months of work later, I received an email from J. D. that ticked me off. The night I received it, Brett happened to call me and I vented steam about it and mentioned that since I had an agreement in writing with J. D., this might constitute a breach of contract under a law signed by President Bill Clinton that email agreements are valid contracts.

Well, the matter between J. D. and me was ironed out in a day or so (I don't even remember what the misunderstanding was about) and the matter would have been forgotten, except Brett would constantly needle me with comments like, "How's your lawsuit going?" on the phone or in emails. He's such a funny guy! Right.

I never had any plans to sue J. D. Lees. I was angry at the time and was thinking aloud. My mistake was doing that with Brett. I should've known better.

On February 28, 2009, when the argument over the MySpace page came up (which seemed to go on all day), Brett sent me emails which included:

Is this MySpace page part of your plan to sue J.D. for breach of contract? Is that hwy you wanted it kept secret?

Brett


But the real clincher was his blackmail (known as 恐喝 in Japan) threat:

A couple of e-mails you wrote to me last summer are attached below. Perhaps J.D. would be interested in knowing what sort of character is running his MySpace page.


That did it! I severed relations with Homenick. I told J. D. the full story about it.

Recently, Homenick emailed me about meeting with him. If there were to be any practical good to do so, I would've met with him with an open mind. But subsequent emails from him feigning indignation over being called to task as a "blackmailer wannabe" told me that it would be a waste of time.

I ended my last response to him on June 6 as follows:

Your past is now coming back to haunt you. All the crap you've pulled over the years is now biting you in the butt. Nobody likes you. You really have no friends. You asked for the altercation with Dutch. You never knew when to back off. You claimed G-FEST is "my show." You're the one with the problems. None of the G-FEST committee likes you, they've told me. You're as popular as turd in a punchbowl.

On the blackmail threat you made, you may want to check your library of emails for those of February 28, 2009. Immediately when you made the blackmail threat, it was pointed out to you as such by me. So you can't feign ignorance. You never denied it. You never defended it. You never retracted it. So it is a little too late in the game to try to change history.

You are getting your comeuppance. I don't have to do anything, all I have to do is just sit back and enjoy the show. It is going to be fun to watch!

Your last email tells me you haven't changed a bit. Why should I bother with a schmuck like you? You made your own bed, now you can sleep in it. Don't ever bother me again. Any emails will be deleted. I don't have to meet with you, because you were told everything from the very start. Even JD knows you are a loose cannon. Others have used the same term, and that was the nicest thing said.

They are also laughing at you with your "self-important" attitude. Besides the old "Cousin Oliver" one, you are referred to as "Big Bird" and "Milk 'n Cookies." I almost pity you, but you brought it upon yourself. People notice how people act and treat others.

Karma has a way of nailing people. You are beginning to find that out. Enjoy it!


After that, I was going to do nothing further. Now he has decided to escalate matters with a vicious post on his blog with a title that seems to celebrate animal abuse.

It is interesting that he is acting concerned about the blackmail charge, when he knew about it from the start.

Immediately (on February 28, 2009) after he sent me the aforementioned blackmail threat, I called him to task. He sent me these in response:

How am I blackmailing you? What am I forcing you to do against your will? Quite honestly, I've done you a huge favor by keeping your talk of suing J.D. a secret. I've often felt he should know about it (talk about not being able to trust someone!), but in the interest of keeping everyone friends, I've remained quiet.


And:

Now "blackmail" has been downgraded to a mere "threat." I guess we're making progress.


When someone states, "Perhaps J.D. would be interested in knowing what sort of character is running his MySpace page," that constitutes a blackmail threat. My attorney agrees. Now, since his past is catching up with him (including an altercation that took place last year at G-FEST with an attendee), and fans are now openly attacking him on message boards and Facebook, Homenick is lashing out. He fails to realize that he brought things upon himself. Karma has a way of doing that!

It is a stupid move on his part in bringing up the blackmail charge openly. Previously, any references to blackmail on this blog were without naming names. If he should happen to apply for a job, a potential employer will likely Google his name (as part of a background check) and references to blackmail will now also come up. Also, they will see what kind of character he has if they should take a look at his vicious blog posts. They say much more about him than anyone else. Another "smart move" on his part. Nothing like shooting your own foot! So now, if he doesn't get "that great job" he wanted, he can only blame himself.

By posting old emails, out of context and cleverly edited, Homenick is showing that he's perfectly capable of blackmailing someone (thanks for proving my point). Why would he keep old emails from years ago unless he planned to have them handy if that person crosses him? If anyone had any dealings with Homenick in the past via email, more than likely he's got everything they've said in his collection of dossiers. They would be wise to sever any ties with him.

What company would want to hire someone like this? He'd potentially compile dossiers on co-workers in order to engage in character assassination should he be slighted, passed up for a raise or promotion or for some other sin he felt the need to respond to.

Plus, he's an outright liar. He posted:

When that turned out to be a dead end, he instead sold Haruo Nakajima buttons at the convention for $10 a pop, with absolutely none of the proceeds going to Mr. Nakajima or his daughter.


The campaign-style buttons were made by me and at my expense (thanks to the George W. Bush tax rebate) and they were sold for $5.00, not $10.00 (he can't seem to get his facts right). Also, I never said that any "proceeds" would be going to the Nakajimas. I gave Haruo and Sonoe Nakajima buttons. Since I was out of work at the time, I made the buttons for income (thank God I did, I made enough to cover my auto insurance premium and other bills). There was no secret in that. Also, I have made and sold buttons at political conventions. Again, butting his beak where it doesn't belong and doesn't concern him. Sounds to me that Brett has a problem with capitalism, besides making up stories to support his sicko thesis. What a liar!

He is also known to stalk people on the Internet. On March 6, I caught him stalking me on a George Reeves/Superman message board. He has never expressed any interest in George Reeves or the television show. Other people who have dealt with Homenick have told me that he had stalked them on the Internet and that he tries to dig up dirt on people from various websites. This is called cyberstalking and it is a crime.

Recently, just before G-FEST XVII, he attempted tortious interference between a G-FEST dealer and myself when news hit that The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan would be sold at the convention. J. D. Lees had no problem with The Guide being sold at the convention and stated such to the dealer. The dealer basically told Brett to go fly a kite. Who's the one who can't "move on"?

People have wondered why J. D. Lees keeps him around. It wouldn't surprise me if he were being blackmailed too. J. D. would be wise to get rid of this troublemaker.

I'm no psychologist or psychiatrist, and this is only my opinion, but he appears to exhibit behaviors of a sociopath. I've dealt with sociopaths before (one being a former supervisor at an insurance company. Karma got him. He died of thyroid cancer in his 40s.). You may want to check this website out (specifically, the Summary of Sociopaths). I am not saying this to be mean, but anyone who would stoop to the gutter is either pure evil or a very sick person.

So, if he wises up and deletes his vicious posts, he just may save his future. I would, in kind, delete this one.

I could still initiate legal action, either in criminal or civil. The statute hasn't run out.

No comments:

Search This Blog