"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, August 9, 2010

Mustang Meets Bambi



I had an "interesting" ride home from work in Malibu tonight.

I was heading to the San Fernando Valley from Malibu on Malibu Canyon Road when a deer decided to j-walk in front of me. I hit the brakes, but hit the deer.

A loud thud was heard on impact and suddenly I lost all electrical power to my car, a 1989 Ford Mustang. After rolling from the impact, the deer got up and ran off. Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the car.

I managed to roll the car to the shoulder off the road (well, most of it). My immediate thought was that the fuel cut-off switch Fords have was the culprit. I popped the trunk and when I did, the lights came on. So, I figured I could start it and gave it a try. No dice! No power again.

I tried the cut-off switch and it did nothing. So I called the Auto Club.

While waiting for the Auto Club, I popped the hood and found that the impact with the deer knocked one of my battery cables off the battery. I replaced it onto the battery terminal, and lo and behold, I had full power!

I cancelled the Auto Club service and was merrily (not exactly, I was a little shaken up) on my way home. Also, the impact with the deer did no damage to the front end of the Mustang. Lucky for me!

It was also my good fortune that the encounter happened at a wide section of the road. Otherwise, I might have skidded off over the side and down 100-200 feet into the canyon.

UPDATE: My claims adjusting boss called me this morning (with two new assignments) and I told her what happened. She said her brother once hit a deer and totalled his vehicle.

In my claims work, I've had vehicle vs. deer claims in the past. I am aware that people have been killed in these (especially when the deer's body goes into the windshield).

I consider myself lucky: no damage, no injuries. Don't know about the deer. I haven't heard from its attorney.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz, this is great! Glad there was no damage to car or injury to you. Love you, Maria

Jessica Gardner said...

Glad you're ok!! Hope the deer made it home in one piece too :/

Search This Blog