"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Going To Japan Solo: Budget

Above, travelers can save money on lodging by staying in business hotels such as this one in Ueno.

The subject of traveling to Japan solo came up on one the the message boards I belong to.

I posted my budget for a nine-day Japan trip from Los Angeles to Tokyo. I copied it and am posting it below:

For a nine-day trip, I budgeted as follows:

Lodging: $560 ($70/day)
Airfare: $700 Round-trip (I've never paid more than that when going solo)
Food: $270 ($30/day will do for me)
JR Railpass: $270 (you buy the voucher here and exchange it for the pass in Japan)
Transportation: $25/day (subways, local non-JR trains, taxis)
Spending money: Whatever I can afford

Total: $2,025 (not counting spending money)

I can usually get cheaper rates on airfares. The savings can go to souvenirs, etc. Since you will be paying for your flight and JR Railpass before you leave home, having $1,500 in your pocket when you land will be enough.*

[Note: Ed Godzisewski pointed out that the JR Railpass is now $340+ (it is tied to the foreign exchange rate). Thanks for pointing that out, Ed.]

It doesn't cost $50 for a Big Mac there. That's an old wives' tale. I once treated Masaharu Ina of Toho International to a revolving sushi lunch in Tokyo. We both pigged out. The total tab for both of us: under $30.

It can be done!

*Tip: it is better to take more than you need instead of having too little.


In addition to the above, I'd have handy The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan. It will provide all the information you need (and then some!) to find kaiju locations, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems very reasonable Armand, but only $30/day for food? I can see how it can be done if you eat twice a day.Have fun! - Pachipro

Armand Vaquer said...

It is basically an average. I usually spend 900 yen on breakfast at my hotel, maybe 200-300 yen for lunch and about 1500 yen for dinner. I can add or subtract as warranted. - A.

lina said...

Your lunch budget works out similar to ours when we vation in Japan. :)

Search This Blog