"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, October 1, 2010

Tales of Adventure In Malibu: Tragedy Averted



Sometimes I have to wonder about some parents.

Yesterday evening, I was doing a routine foot patrol at the swimming pool area of one of the gated communities I patrol in Malibu.

There was a party of about 20-25 people at the bar-b-que area which is located at the southwest corner of the pool area. As I was walking along the east side of the pool, I noticed a baby crawling from a grassy area and headed towards the swimming pool.

As I approached, I checked around to see if anyone was watching him. Nobody was. The baby was crawling pretty fast and was headed directly to the swimming pool's southeast (about 30 yards from the bar-b-que area). [He is nine months old, I later found out.] I was still watching him and scanning the area to see if someone was going to come fetch him. Seeing that nobody was going to (the people at the bar-b-que were oblivious), I reached down and picked him up just as he got to about five inches of the edge of the pool.

After picking him up, I yelled to the people at the bar-b-que area, "Whose baby is this?" Everyone looked up with stunned looks on their faces. The baby's mother then came over and I handed him over to her. I then headed towards the exit gate and looked back and noticed the mother (without the baby) looking distraught and dashing towards the clubhouse.

I proceeded out and went to my patrol vehicle to get my incident report written up.

About an hour later, I returned to the clubhouse/pool area and the mother of the baby approached me in the parking lot and profusely thanked me. She said that she was busy eating and cutting up food and forgot about the baby. She said that after I gave him to her, it suddenly hit her that a tragedy had just been averted and she broke down and had to go to the ladies' room in the clubhouse.

I told her it only takes a few seconds for a baby to drown. According to a website of a company specializing in perimeter pool fences:

Drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury-related deaths to children ages 14 and under. It can happen in a matter of seconds - in the time it takes to answer the phone. There is often no splashing to warn of trouble. Children can drown in small quantities of water and are at risk in their own homes from wading pools, bathtubs, buckets, diaper pails, and toilets, as well as swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs.

The statistics are frightening. Each year in the United States, 1,150 children (ages 14 and under) drown - more than half of these children are preschoolers (ages 0-4). An estimated 5,000 children (ages 14 and under) are hospitalized due to near-drownings, and of children surviving near-drownings, 5-20 percent suffer severe and permanent disability.


This time, we were lucky!

1 comment:

Maria Malone said...

Great job Cuz! You were definitely in the right place at the right time!

Search This Blog