"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Japan: Day 4

After a two-hour bullet train ride from Tokyo, I made it into the city of Niigata, which is at the Sea of Japan.

Unfortunately, my computer problems (no Wi-Fi or compatible plugs) still are with me. But, the hotel I'm at, Dormy Inn, does have free internet with real computers. I may be able to make CD-Roms of my photos and use the hotel computers to input photos from the CDs. Now all I have to do is find a store who sells blank CDs.

Niigata is much less crowded than Tokyo and there's no skyscrapers to block one's views. There seems to be no subways and the mass transit is handled by bus lines.

As for the bullet train ride in, I don't remember much of it (except for some snow-capped mountains) as I nodded off. Most of the passengers were Japanese businessmen who also slept during the ride. Additionally, I got about 10 hours of sleep last night. After dinner (I found a nice hole-in-the-wall family restaurant around the corner from my hotel) I kicked back in my room and fell asleep. I woke up at midnight and just went to bed and slept for another four hours.

It is very cold in Niigata. Thank goodness I had the foresight to buy a wool coat and some cotton flannel shirts before I left home.

I heard there's Starbucks in Niigata, but I haven't seen any. Fortunately, there's a Tully's Coffee Shop at Niigata Station, a 20 min. walk from my hotel.

One thing I noticed here, there's many images of Astro Boy (he's known in Japan as Atom) around town in advertising for a local bank.

After breakfast at the hotel (they start serving in 45 min. at 6:30), I'll be heading off the explore the city.

No comments:

Search This Blog