"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

30 Years Ago: Shots Fired

Above, a photo taken by a White House photographer at a reception for the California Delegation in June 1982. I am in the background at left. Secret Service agent Tim McCarthy is in the powder blue suit at right. McCarthy took a bullet in the assassination attempt on President Reagan.

30 years ago today, I was working as a claims adjuster at United Pacific/Reliance Insurance Companies. I was working at my desk when one of the company's underwriters approached and said, "President Reagan has been shot!"

It was a stunning moment and I felt as if the color from my face drained away.

It was well-known at the company that I was a Ronald Reagan California delegate at the 1976 and 1980 Republican National Conventions. In fact, the company news magazine, The Gryphon, carried the story with photos (of co-worker Arleigh Kerr and me) about the 1980 GOP national convention.

I don't remember if we were allowed to leave early due to the anxiety the country was feeling over the assassination attempt. I do recall that a collective sigh of relief came when we were told that President Reagan would fully recover from his wound.

A day or so later, I was interviewed by the Gardena Valley News about the assassination attempt. I stated that the silver lining in this is that Reagan's economic program would have a better chance of being passed by a sympathetic congress. I was right.

A little over a year later, I was invited to a White House reception for the 1980 California Delegation. My hotel was a few blocks away from the Washington Hilton, the scene of the assassination attempt. I took the Hilton's airport shuttle from Dulles International Airport to the Hilton and then walked to my hotel. The scene at the Hilton looked the same as it did a year ago. I took a few photos.

At the reception the next day, Secret Service agent Tim McCarthy (who took a bullet during the attempt) was present. Many attendees thanked him for his heroism.

Reagan's eldest son, Michael posted an article on that day 30 years ago. To read it, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog