"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Can Godzilla Save Japan's Tourism Industry?

Above, Haruo Nakajima (right) during his Godzilla days. The Japanese tourism industry should use Godzilla and Nakajima to promote tourism.

Last night, at 10:26, I was kicking back watching some DVDs when I received a call from one of my supervisors.

I was asked if I could work patrol in Burbank (the shift starts at 11:00) as the guy who's supposed to work called off two hours before his shift was to start. Needless to say, the company was a little annoyed with him.

Although I was about an hour or so from going to bed, plus I could use the money, I agreed to come in. (By the end of the shift, I was dead tired and slept all day today.)

After getting ready for work, I headed out to my apartment complex's parking lot and saw the building manager talking with two tenants. I found out that a tenant in building 3 decided to commit suicide in his apartment several days ago. His body was undiscovered until last evening due to the stench. He was only 40. The police investigators were at the apartment as we were talking.

Getting up this evening from much-needed sleep (I have to work Burbank again tonight), I found an email about a Twitter Tweet from Tom Baker of The Daily Yomiuri:

Can Godzilla help save Japan's tourism industry? Monster expert @ArmandV comments on an editorial from @DailyYomiuri.


I think Godzilla would be a great help in saving Japan's tourism industry. He's as internationally recognizable as Mickey Mouse. Of course, the tourism industry would need the cooperation from Godzilla's owner, Toho Co., Ltd., but ads featuring the King of the Monsters promoting Japan tourism could do the trick. Also, taking on Haruo Nakajima, the original Godzilla suit actor, as a goodwill ambassador in a advertising campaign for Japan tourism would be a plus. Given his age (he's 82), his participation would have to be limited a bit. But seeing the crowds gather around him on Hollywood Blvd. (see photo below from his daughter Sonoe) convinced me that he could be useful. And, I think he'd have a ball!

Above, Haruo Nakajima drew a crowd on Hollywood Blvd. last month. Photo courtesy of Sonoe Nakajima.

As I said before, the Japanese tourism industry needs to think "outside of the box" to get travelers over to Japan.

1 comment:

mathetes1963 said...

Considering a new Godzilla movie by an American studio is in the offing, I'd say it's a grand idea from a publicity standpoint.

Search This Blog