"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Coffee and Computers Don't Mix

Last week, I managed to get my old computer running again.

Yesterday, I got up to go into another room and my sleeve caught on one of my chairs and a little coffee from the coffee cup I had in my hand slopped over and landed on my laptop's keyboard. Oh, crap!

About a third of the keys wouldn't work. I immediately unplugged it and removed the battery. I also put it upside down so that any coffee would drain out, rather than go further into the machine. I let it sit for 2 hours.

Today, I plugged it back in and tried out the keyboard. Only two keys wouldn't work: the 'n' and comma keys. I cleaned both keys' contacts to get any dried coffee residue with alcohol. I waited for them to dry for a while and then fired it up.

Well, I got the 'n' key working but the comma key still isn't. I'll have to try and clean it out again later and see if it'll start working again.

How am I getting by typing this without a working comma key? No, I'm not using my other computer. What I did was copy a comma from an old document and pasted it onto a new document file titled "Comma." When I need a comma, I just paste it into position. So that's how I am able to work around it.

It has been said that things "happen for a reason." That's probably why I got my old computer working again last week. At least I am still able to use the laptop and found a way to temporarily solve the comma problem.

I understand that if I had sugar in my coffee, my computer problems would've been worse.

No comments:

Search This Blog