"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Matsushima Bay

Above, the bay side approach to Godaido.

Immediately following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, I was concerned about the death and destruction in northeastern Japan, particularly Matsushima and Sendai.

Back in April 2006, I took a vacation trip to Japan. I was primarily in Tokyo, but took a few days to visit Sendai and Matsushima in the Tohoku region.

My father, who died in 1999, was in the National Guard in the 40th Division in Los Angeles. When the Korean War broke out, his National Guard unit was called up in 1951 and he was sent first to Japan. He was Military Policeman (MP) and he described most of his duties as "getting drunks out of the local jails." He was based in Sendai, but had some duties in Matsushima. He sent the photo below of himself in front of Godaido temple to my mother:

Left, dad at Godaido in 1951.

Before going to Japan in 2006, I checked to see where the photo was taken. It wasn't too difficult as he wrote on the back of the picture about being on duty in Matsushima in front of "a 500-year-old temple." I was able to find that the temple as Godaido and planned my vacation accordingly. I arranged to stay at Bansuitei Ikoiso Ryokan (Japanese inn) in Sendai, which is about 20 minutes from Matsushima via commuter train.

Once there, I started my "sentimental journey" by taking the train to Matsushima and got off at the station nearest to Godaido. It was a short but enjoyable walk from there to Godaido.

When I got to Godaido, I had one of the cruise boat operators take a couple of pictures of me similar to the one of my dad. I showed them the photo of my dad from 1951 and they were fascinated.

Right, Armand at Godaido in 2006.

Following this, I bought my ticket for the bay boat cruise and chatted with the ship's crew. Luckily, they spoke some English.

While taking the cruise, I thought that my dad was lucky to be put on duty at such a scenic location. Matsushima Bay is considered one of the top three scenic locations in Japan. His stint there was only a few months before being shipped off to South Korea for the war there.

It was difficult taking pictures of the bay's islets due to the flocks of seagulls begging for food from the ship's passengers. They kept getting in the way or in the picture (below).



It was interesting seeing all of the tiny islets in Matsushima Bay as well as the oyster (kaki) farms (Matsushima is famous for their oysters). It was also interesting to see in-person where my dad was while he was in Japan.

Sendai is the main stop via shinkansen from Tokyo. It is about a two-hour ride, but a relaxing and scenic one.

Although Sendai and Matsushima were hit hard by the earthquake and tsunami, Matsushima Bay itself was spared (thanks to the islets in the bay blunting the force of the tsunami) catastrophic damage and most businesses have cleaned up and are back open for business.

If a trip to Japan is in your vacation plans, a visit at Matsushima Bay should be on your "must-see" list. For more information go to: http://www.miyagitheme.jp/

No comments:

Search This Blog