"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

Above, my dad at Weeping Rock at Zion National Park in 1980.

Today is Father's Day.

It is one of those holidays (or, observances) where one more acutely misses those who have passed on. It is even more true if one's family was close-knit as ours was.

Although it has been ten and a half years since my dad died of cancer, it still seems unreal that he's been gone that long (and it seems just as unreal my mom has been gone about a year and a half). Memories are still vivid. I can still remember things he said or did. Some funny (and some no-so-funny) incidents of the past.

One thing about losing parents is that I am still catching myself wanting to call them up on the phone. My mom especially so, since her passing was more recent. I remember a time after my dad died I was about to consult with him on some car problem I was having and catching myself. Last year, for a fleeting moment I thought about calling my mom after meeting Shirley MacLaine. Again, I had to catch myself. It is a weird feeling.

I know a lot of people who have lost a parent or family member over the past two years and I can imagine that they are going through the same thing.

Although this day is Father's Day, and time is set aside to remember mine, I think of him and my mom every day. In practice, at least for me anyway, every day is Father's Day and Mother's Day. Thank goodness for the invention of home video (and previously, 8mm home movie film) so I can still see and hear their voices. (If you don't have a home video camera, get one!)

If you are lucky to still have your parents, make sure you enjoy them while you still can because someday they won't be here except in memory.

In the meantime, I am going to enjoy a lunch with my daughter Amber.

Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Search This Blog