"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, April 28, 2012

On Traveling Solo

Japan Today has an interesting article posted.  The topic: traveling solo.

AboveArmand in Matsushima, Japan in 2006.
The article applies to anywhere a person goes to alone.  My trips to Japan have been solo, but since I do have friends in Japan to meet up with, I've never had a problem.

The article starts with:

Are you filled with wanderlust, but sticking close to home because you lack a like-minded companion? Solo travel is an extraordinary, accessible opportunity that can involve big or small adventures, easy or difficult as you choose.

You can do what you want, when you want, how you want, where you want. You pick your own pace, budget, itinerary and can always change your mind on a whim, never having to negotiate. The experience can be liberating and thrilling, igniting a rewarding sense of accomplishment, and the detachment from your “real” life is often therapeutic.

Everything stated in the second paragraph is true.  Also, the article points out:

When entering a new place on your own, you may notice more than you do when you travel with others. I strike up conversations more easily when I’m soloWhen entering a new place on your own, you may notice more than you do when you travel with others. I strike up conversations more easily when I’m solo, something I’ve done in dozens of countries across six continents. But not all destinations are right for solo travelers. Here are some tips. something I’ve done in dozens of countries across six continents. 
This has also been my experience.   I've met quite a number of people in Japan on solo visits and have maintained contact with them since.  In Japan, I usually get approached by older Japanese men or young Japanese women wanting to try out their English skills.

So, grab yourself a copy of The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan and go!

To read the full article, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog