"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, October 22, 2012

What I Look For In Japanese Hotels

Above, my room in Sasebo, Kyushu.  Photo by Armand Vaquer.

What do I look for in accommodations in a trip to Japan (or anywhere else, for that matter)?

First, the price.  A hotel or ryokan has to be reasonably-priced.  For a single person traveling, I feel rooms should be around ¥4,000 to ¥6,000.

Second, the location.  The hotel/ryokan should be close to a subway/train station for easy transportation to other points in the city.  If a traveler has a lot of luggage, a train/subway station needs to be within easy walking distance.

Third, cleanliness.  Who wants to stay at a hotel/ryokan whose housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired?  Who wants to sleep in a bed that has someone's DNA smeared on the bedding?  This one can be tough unless a traveler carries with him/her their own personal CSI/blacklight kit.  Check for reviews on the hotel/ryokan you are interested in.

Fourth, food.  I prefer hotels who have their own restaurant for breakfast.  I generally eat elsewhere for lunch and dinner as I am touring around.  But, quick access to breakfast is a plus in my book.  The Hotel Asia Center of Japan in Tokyo has their own restaurant where a good breakfast buffet is available for about ¥900.  Travelers have a choice of either western-style (bacon, sausage, eggs, toast, croissants, juice) or Japanese-style (fish, rice, ramen).  Sometimes, I sample some of each.  Good coffee is a must!  It is nice that Japanese hotels/ryokans have complimentary green tea in the rooms, but I require coffee.  At ryokans (Japanese inns), I sometimes will have dinner there to try out some home-cooking (as most are family-run).  I've had many great meals while doing this.

Above, Dormy Inn in Niigata, Japan.  Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Fifth, Internet access.  It can be via WiFi in the room or a computer in the lobby.

Sixth, laundry facilities.  Although I have a huge rolling suitcase (that I call "The Monolith"), having laundry facilities available to me at a hotel is a plus.  This allows a traveler to pack 50% less as they can launder their clothing for re-use.

Seventh, close proximity to convenience stores and eateries.  I've made good use of nearby eateries and convenience stores that are near my hotel/ryokan.  Some include a Yoshinoya, Lawson's or AM-PM mini-marts, Tully's or Starbucks coffee shops, photo developing (in case I decide to use my old Olympus OM-1 35mm camera) and other businesses.  The convenience stores are great for picking up pre-packaged sushi snacks, in case I get an attack of the munchies.

I don't choose hotels in Japan for any kind of special views.  I go to Japan to see the country, not to just sit in a room and look out the window.

Hotel/ryokans who have complimentary amenities such as bottled water, combs, brushes, toothbrushes, shampoo, dryer, soaps, maps and brochures are tops in my opinion.

You may have your own requirements in a hotel/ryokan, but these are mine.

No comments:

Search This Blog