"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Japan Location In "Skyfall"

Above, tour boats at Nagasaki Wharf.  Do these take visitors to Hashima Island?  Photo by Armand Vaquer.


While watching the end credits for Skyfall, I noticed that Japan was listed as a location used in the movie.  I didn't remember any Japan locations in the movie, so I was puzzled by this.

Today, however, I saw an article at News On Japan and the "mystery" has been solved.  The location used was...

Hashima Island, also known as Gunkanjima (meaning "Battleship Island" for its silhouette that resembles a warship) is a 60,000-square-meter cluster of concrete ruins in the sea off Nagasaki, Japan.

This was the place where the villain Raoul Silva (played by Javier Bardem) set up his headquarters.  The place did have an interesting look to it, but I would never have associated it with Japan.  I visited Nagasaki in 2007, but I saw nothing there about Hashima Island.

One place in Skyfall that did leave a big impression on me was Shanghai, China.  The aerial shots of the city at night were beautiful.  I was thinking at the time that a visit to Shanghai would be interesting.

For more on Hashima Island, go here.

UPDATE:  Here's a link to a tour boat line that will take visitors to Hashima Island: http://www.gunkan-jima.net/.  Thanks to Thomas Patrick for the information.

No comments:

Search This Blog