"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, May 6, 2013

Jaunted.com's International Travel 101: How to Mail a Postcard Home

Above, the post card that was made in a coin-operated machine
at Yokohama's Landmark Tower.  The picture was taken after I
had walked about three miles to the Tower.
While traveling, at just about everywhere one goes, there's a rack of post cards for sale.  In this day and age of emails, phone texting and social network websites, who bothers to send a post card to friends and family back home?

Some apparently still do, otherwise those post card racks would no longer be taking up space in gift shops, stores tourist attractions and hotel lobbies.

If one is overseas and feels the urge to send a post card (or someone back home requests one), there is an article on how to send a post card for those frozen in fear at the prospect of doing something so "old school."

Jaunted.com has an article on this very topic, "International Travel 101: How to Mail a Postcard Home."

They start it with:
Who doesn't love opening up the mailbox to see a postcard in the mix of bills and Bed, Bath & Beyond flyers? The exotic postmark and some lovely snippet of scenery is good for at least a few minutes of travel daydreaming, and it's like—"hey, I have cool world-traveling friends who care enough about me to send a postcard!"
Personally, I only sent two post cards (that I remember) from Japan.  One to a friend (now deceased) and one to a co-worker's young son (at my co-worker's request for his son's scrapbook).  The one to my friend was a photo of Japanese money (he was an avid coin collector) I bought at my hotel in Tokyo and the other was of a Japanese cartoon character I bought at a Niigata post office.  Mailing either was not difficult as I was assisted by the hotel clerk and a post office clerk in those instances.

If my memory is correct, the post card I sent to my co-worker's son got to its destination before I got back to the USA.

The article will provide the dos and don'ts of post card mailing from overseas.

The only post card from Japan I have is one from a photo machine at the Landmark Tower (blasted by Godzilla in Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)) in Yokohama (photo at top).

To view the article, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog