"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tofugu: "Why I Don't Give Up My Seat On A Train"

Above, these exhausted Tokyo subway passengers obviously needed
seats at the end of the workday.  Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The Japanese are a very polite people. Except when it comes to riding rush-hour trains in Tokyo and other cities.

Pushing and shoving is the norm when the Japanese are catching trains or subways during rush-hour.

Tofugu.com has an article on whether or not someone should give up their seat on a crowded train and the reasons why they don't. Generally, whenever I am on a train or subway, Japan or at home, I will give up my seat for a lady (pregnant or not), elderly person or someone with an obvious injury. That's just the way I was raised.

Although I am pushing 60, which would qualify me as an "elderly person" (I suppose), I don't feel elderly and thankfully am in good health. So it is no problem for me to give up a seat for someone else. Tokyo subways have marked seats for injured, elderly or pregnant people. I guess that I would be entitled to use it due to my age, but I don't. (I don't partake in "senior menus" either, even if they are for people age 55 and up. The portions are not enough to fill me up.)

The article is quite interesting as some people give their reasons for not giving up their seats on a crowded subway or train.

To view the article, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog