"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sticker Shock, Etc.

My employer for my security "parachute job" says we're to receive paperwork for medical insurance coverage around the first of November. I'll believe it when I see it.

Here's why:

A large security company bought out the accounts my former employer had in the San Fernando Valley. We had a big general meeting in which transferring employees had to complete our employment and benefits paperwork, including medical coverage.

Since then, I noticed in my paycheck stubs that nothing was being deducted for medical insurance, so I contacted the company's medical benefits director to find out what was going on and she said that even though I, and may others, signed up, there were "problems" and we weren't given coverage. She wouldn't/couldn't say why. She said that we should be receiving medical insurance coverage information around the first of November.

Funny how nobody with the company bothered to notify us that we were not covered medically, even though we signed up.

Ticked off, I said to her, "It was a good thing that I didn't have [a medical] need for it, otherwise the company would be in legal hot water." I am going to pursue this like a German Shepard come November. I don't take crap from anybody.

For the heck of it, I checked a website handling California's ObamaCare Exchanges and this is the lowest monthly rate I could find (I had to give them my age, weight, etc.):


ObamaCare's official name is the "Affordable Care Act". My medical insurance coverage with my immediate past employer was around $20/paycheck, so this rate is neither affordable or caring. Talk about sticker shock! Unless I get a better deal from my employer, I just might forego getting medical insurance coverage and just eat the penalty. It would be a lot cheaper over the long run (about 1% of gross annual income) than premium rates such as this one.

However, at least this day is ending on a positive note. Some insurance claim work came in this morning (work completed by early this afternoon) and some sales over at Amazon.com's Kindle Store for The Monster Movie Fan's Guide To Japan also came in.

No comments:

Search This Blog