"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, December 2, 2013

Superman 1953 Music Cues

One of my hobbies is to collect soundtracks from favorite movies and television shows.

Above, Jack Larson and George Reeves in 1953.
Around 13 years or so ago, Varese Sarabande released the first season (1951) music cues from the Adventures of Superman television show starring George Reeves. It was a nice CD loaded with music favorites from the film noir season of Superman (the ones that have Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane). I frequently play that CD when I am reading or writing.

After that CD was released, there were indications floating around "out there" that music cues from the second season (1953) of Superman would be released on CD. Fans waited and waited for a release, but none ever came. Unless someone decides otherwise, no official release appears to be in the cards.

Above, the 1951 music cues release by Varese Sarabande.


So, it was left up to fans to put together the 1953 music cues. About three years ago, I did some tracking down of some of the 1953 cues and another fan found others. We combined our finds and I made a CD of the cues we found, which I have played to death over the past three years.

Recently, word had reached me that another fan compiled two CDs full of 1953 Superman music cues. The ones I had previously only make up perhaps about 5 - 10% of what's on these CDs. Since the price was right, I ordered a set and after playing them, I can report that these are worth their weight in gold!

As these aren't authorized, I am keeping mum on the source. Shhhh!

There is one music cue that is a favorite (that I couldn't find earlier) called "Tumult and Confusion." I was hoping that this set would include it, and sure enough, it did. But, there's a bonus to this particular piece of music. Included in this set are two additional versions of "Tumult and Confusion" as bonuses. One was recorded in the 1960s and the other was recorded in the 1990s. Definitely the "icing on the cake!"

If these music cues ever see an official release, I will definitely buy it. But I am quite satisfied over what I have now.

3 comments:

Kirk H. said...

I have that CD set too -- and it is wonderful. Some of the best TV background music ever recorded. And the reproduction is flawless. A dream come true for Superman TV fans!

Richard Stammer said...

I saw your compilation Armand and it inspired me to keep trying to get my own out. Thanks. We're an obsessive bunch of fans, aren't we? :-)

Armand Vaquer said...

We sure are, Richard! You did a great job! - A.

Search This Blog