"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Busy Day of Running Around In Tokyo

Above, a view of the Skytree from its base. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This was a busy day in Tokyo.

I started out the day by going over to the new Tokyo Skytree. It appears that the crowds have died down (although there were many people there) and getting a ticket to go up to the observation deck is easier. I would have gone up (for about ¥2,000), but I was pressed for time as I had a lunch appointment with former Toho-L.A. General Manager Masaharu Ina in Hibiya.

I got to the Ginza-Hibiya area 40 minutes early, so I thought I'd stop by The Beat Diner for something to drink. Unfortunately, I found that they went out of business. I ended up going to a nearby Starbucks. That location (under the shinkansen tracks) must not be too lucky for food establishments. First, Becker's went under, and now The Beat Diner.

Above, this is what I found when I went to The Beat Diner. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Following lunch, I headed back to the hotel to see if Jonathan Bellés wanted to go see some Godzilla-related places. He did.

I earlier suggested to Jonathan Bellés that we go to the Lucky Dragon No. 5 exhibit at 2:30 PM. However, he wanted to sleep a little longer (I can't blame him, he worked his butt off with yesterday's interviews) and meet up at 3:30.

Above, the Wako and Mitsukoshi Dept. stores. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Unfortunately, when we got to the Lucky Dragon, we found that it closed at 4:00 (a half-hour before we got there). Had we went at 2:30 as I suggested, we would have been able to go in and see it. I kidded Bellés, "We have a saying in America: "You snooze, you lose!""

Above, the former Matsuzakaya Dept. Store building is being re-done (the
blank building with the 2 blue stripes, center-left). Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Following this, we headed to Hibiya and Ginza so that Bellés could photograph the Godzilla statue in Hibiya and see some landmarks from Godzilla. He photographed the statue from all angles and when he completed his picture-taking, I snapped a few of him with the statue.

Above, Jonathan Bellés snapping photos of the Godzilla statue in Hibiya. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Then, we talked towards Ginza. Along the way, I pointed out some Godzilla-related landmarks, including the Yurakucho Mullion Building, the Wako Dept. Store and the former Matsuzakaya Dept. Store.

Above, Jonathan Bellés and the Wako Dept. Store. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

We then headed back to our hotel, but paid a visit to the local McDonalds for some dinner. After dinner, we returned to the hotel and our respective rooms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog you have here.. It's difficult to find high-quality writing like
yours nowadays. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!


Feel free to surf to my web blog appliance repair san diego
leads (facebook.com)

Search This Blog