"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, February 3, 2014

The 39th Anniversary of My 21st Birthday

Above, the first legal drink after turning 21.

The first legal alcoholic "adult" beverage I had after turning 21 was on February 7, 1975 in the bar at the old Senator Hotel in Sacramento, just across the street from the California State Capitol Building. I was there for the bi-annual convention of the California Republican Party (known then as the Republican State Central Committee). That was the convention in which the new party leaders were elected. (Those were the days when California actually had a viable GOP.) How do I know the date of that momentous event? Well, it is written in back of the photo.

The drink was a vodka and Seven-Up, which was one my favorites at the time. The above photograph commemorated the occasion. That was a fun weekend. In fact, a group of us later had a grand time doing Richard Nixon imitations in that bar. So grand a time we had, that we didn't immediately notice U.S. Senator Robert Packwood of Oregon sitting nearby watching us. I don't remember if he was scowling or smiling. I think he was scowling.

It is hard to believe that 39 years whisked by since then. Tomorrow I am turning sixty, which (some say) is the new fifty. Okay, I'll go along with that so nobody will get an argument from me on that point. Maybe I should take a page out of President Reagan's book and call it the "39th anniversary of my 21st birthday."

Fortunately for me, I feel as well as I did on that milestone day in Sacramento. I am in great health. I walk about a mile every night. Keeping the brain exercised by blogging and through other writing activities is very important. It helps to keep the mind sharp. Perusing hobbies and being engaged in current events is also healthy for the mind. These things I also do. It also helps to have a fine lady in my life. She keeps me on my toes.

Some people get depressed over aging. I'd imagine I would be too if I had health problems. My great-uncle used to say, "Growing old isn't so bad when you consider the alternative." One should look at aging with a sense of humor. (By the way, here's a bunch of "turning 60 jokes to enjoy: http://seniors.lovetoknow.com/Turning_60_Jokes. The woman pictured looks older than 60 to me.)

Ten years ago, the fiftieth anniversary of Godzilla was celebrated. At the time, I remembered my late mother griping about another movie monster's fiftieth anniversary. Back in 1983, there was a bit of a hoopla over the the fiftieth anniversary of King Kong. My mother complained that it reminded her of her age as she was born in 1933, the year that King Kong was released. As Godzilla and I both arrived in 1954, and since I was involved in some of the festivities surrounding Godzilla's anniversary, it didn't bother me as Kong's fiftieth anniversary annoyed my mother. I still remembered her annoyance, though. I haven't yet heard Godzilla complaining about turning 60. He's probably too busy with the new movie that's coming out in May to even notice.

I do feel fortunate to have reached this age. (Believe me, I've earned every year of it.) Several friends of my age group have passed away over the past fifteen or so years. I would have liked nothing more than to have been able to celebrate our entrance into "sexagenarianhood" together with them. (Sexagenarian, I like the sound of that!) But it was  not to be. I will raise a glass or two in a toast to them when I am in Japan.

It has been an interesting 60 years. I've seen many places, met many people (some were the movers and shakers of the time), witnessed some history and done quite a number of things. I don't plan on slowing down anytime soon. I am still having fun.

It's been a good ride! So far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do we hear wedding bells approaching? ;)

Armand Vaquer said...

Not in the forseeable future. But, you never know.

Search This Blog