"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Using Math To Counter Jet Lag

Above, a Korean Air Boeing 777 at LAX. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Japan Today posted an article about researchers using math to counter jet lag.

Funny thing about jet lag. I never have felt any effects of it when going to Japan, but only when I returned home to California did it hit me (particularly after the 2004 trip to Japan).

On my most recent trip to Japan, I felt no jet lag, either going to or coming from Japan. It probably had much to do with the fact that I work nights and my inner clock was already accustomed to the hours. While I am at work at night, it it daytime in Japan. So it all evened out for me.

According to the article:
WASHINGTON —Lots of apps claim they can help you fight jet lag. Now researchers say mathematical formulas suggest it’s possible to adjust to new time zones a bit faster than previously thought, and they created their own free app to help. 
Doctors have long said exposure to light is key. But how much, and when?

“If you get light in the wrong time or wrong way, it’ll send you the wrong direction,” said University of Michigan math professor Daniel Forger, who led the research published Thursday.
To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog