"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Tsukiji Fish Market: 9 Things You Need To Know Before Visiting

Above, a row of stalls in the fish market. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

One of the memorable things I did when I visited Japan in December 2010 was to see the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo. I've heard about the fish market for years and wanted to pay it a visit and have a sushi meal for breakfast.

Tokyo Cheapo has an article on the nine things one needs to know before visiting Tsukiji. One of which is that activities there begin in the early morning hours when there is no train or bus service. I actually got up a half hour or so earlier than what I set my clock for as I was rudely awakened by a minor earthquake.

As the bus lines and subways were in not in operation at the time, I called for a taxi to get to the fish market.

Tokyo Cheapo's article has very good advice for first-time visitor (and for people who may have been there before, but may have forgotten a few points).

They begin with:
The Tsukiji Fish Market appears in literally every guide book about Tokyo and on most people’s tour itinerary plus entrance is free! It is the largest wholesale fish market in Tokyo, and one of the largest fish markets in the world. It also has a kick-ass Tuna Auction before the sun rises most mornings. The Tsukiji Fish Market is destined to relocate to a larger and slightly more inconvenient location (in Toyosu) – a move that will be complete in late 2016. However, until then, there is a giant fish market and live tuna auction just begging to be seen.
The article also includes a 2014-2015 calendar that shows the dates when it is open to visitors and when it is closed. I managed to go on a "closed" day (unintentionally), but since I entered through a side or back entrance, I had no hassles while I wandered around. It was only when I made my way to the main entrance that I was accosted by the gate guard (he thought I was trying to enter, not leave). By then, I saw all that I came to see.

To read the article, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog