"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, April 20, 2015

Camp Stove Project

Above, my grandfather's camp stove today. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While perusing a website on old and antique camping stoves and lanterns, I came across a camp stove that looked like the one I have. I had inherited it from my grandfather, who purchased it at Sears back in the early 1960s.

I had always thought it was a J. C. Higgins brand as they were one of the main suppliers of camping equipment to Sears, Roebuck and Company. It turns out that it is a Sears Ted Williams Model 776.74150 two-burner camping stove. The stove was named after baseball great Ted Williams. It runs on white gas (yes, you can still buy white gas).

In looking further online, there are people who specialize in repairing and restoring old and antique camping equipment such as stoves and lanterns.

My stove dirty from non-use and it needs a pump washer (either a leather or rubber pump washer, I don't know as yet). It was probably last used back in the early 1970s. I have contacted a repairer/restorer on this and he is currently researching for the right part. I was asked to send photos of the stove so it can be accurately identified (there may be some variations of this particular brand of stove). The pump has no resistance at present, so obviously something's worn out inside and air is getting in.

Cleaning up and restoring my grandfather's camp stove will be my little pre-summer project, just for the fun of it. 

No comments:

Search This Blog