|Above, the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall before the atomic blast.|
The former Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall, now known as the Atomic Bomb Dome, was completed 100 years ago tomorrow.
According to The Japan News (Yomiuri Shimbun):
The construction of the building now known as the Atomic Bomb Dome in Hiroshima was completed 100 years ago on Sunday.
Originally called the Hiroshima Prefectural Commercial Exhibition Hall, the dome, instantly recognizable by its exposed metal framework, now symbolizes the tragedy of the atomic bombing for people in Japan and around the world.
The exhibition hall was completed on April 5, 1915. It was built by the Czech architect Jan Letzel (1880-1925) who designed distinctive Western-style buildings in Tokyo and other parts of Japan.The building was renamed the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall in 1933. It is now part of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum.
|Above, the Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome in 2004. Photo by Armand Vaquer.|
To read more, go here.