"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Japanese Nickel Damascus Knives

Above, the chef's knife I bought for my roommage Jes a year and a half ago. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

A year and a half ago, I purchased a chef's knife at Kama-asa Knife Company in Tokyo's Kappabashi (Kitchen Town) district for my roommate Jes.

Earlier this year, I ordered two more knives from them. One went to my daughter Amber and the other is at home in the galley of my motorhome.

Each of these knives were in the Damascus style of knives. Many people aren't familiar with Damascus knives. Fortunately for them, RocketNews 24 has an article on Damascus knives.

They wrote (in part):
Moreover, these knives are forged in the Damascus style based on the legendary swords of the Middle East and West Asian regions. Although the exact method of making those blades has been lost, experts are getting closer to reproducing it. Nevertheless, the term “Damascus” is still used to describe the rippled effect in the blades that makes your knives look like gateways to another dimension. 
Each knife is an elegant combination of Japanese sharpness with Western durability and Middle Eastern strength. Their blades are tempered from VG-10 Nickel Damascus and are available in a variety of types.
Above, the model knife I bought for Amber and The Beast.

I can tell you first-hand that these knives are terrific to work with!

To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog