"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, August 1, 2016

"It has A LOT of Potential!"

Today, I went to a local art frame shop to get some frame ideas for the painting.

Fortunately, the painting is a standard size (24" x 30"), so framing will be easy. That is, if I want to go with a "ready-made" frame.

We did look at some frame styles for custom framing. Three of them seemed the most appropriate:

Above, the order of preference: 1. The one on the left. 2. The one on the right. 3. The one in the middle. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

First off, I showed the framer photographs of the painting. He said it was very well done and that I found a "very good" artist in Asya. He said the painting has "a lot of potential." As Asya is young, she could very well become famous in the years ahead. With that, he said, the value of the painting could go up. I hadn't thought of that. But it is something to think about.

He asked, "Did she sign it?" I said yes. He then said that will be a big help later on. The painting could conceivably "last centuries" and if Asya becomes a famous artist over the years, having her signature on it will greatly add to the valuation way down the road.

He asked me how much did she charge for it. I told him and he said that was a "very reasonable" price. He then told me that a customer had a portrait done and he was charged $8,000 for the work by the artist. He also had a clause in the commission agreement that if he didn't like the painting, he can refuse to pay. The customer didn't like the painting, so he didn't pay for it. But, he had the artist do another painting and, this time, he liked it and paid for it. I paid nowhere near $8,000 for mine. 

He told me of another customer who brought in two "canvasses". The customer stretched out the first canvass on the table. It was a painting of the customer and his wife during the time of their wedding. He asked the framer for a knife. He took the knife and then proceeded to cut the painting in a big 'X'. The framer asked, "Why did you do that?!" The customer responded, "I just divorced her and she took me for $3 million!" Ouch!

The second canvas the customer brought in was of he and his girlfriend. That one he had framed. My response was, "That is one guy who should get a prenuptial agreement!" (if he remarries).

Above, of these two frame styles, I prefer the one on the left. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While I was looking over the frame styles, I took some photos of three I liked the best. The framer and I agreed that the painting shouldn't be overwhelmed by a frame. It deserves a frame that would compliment it and bring it out. The photos of the frame that accompany this blog post are the ones I am considering. I sent them to Asya to get her opinion.

Above, another possibility. I also like this one. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

He asked me what were my instructions to Asya. I told him that I gave her "free-rein" and to "have fun with it."  He told me that was the best thing I could have done for her. He said, "You gave her room to breathe without pressure or deadlines." He feels the result reflects that. I told him that I was an art major at one time and "put myself in her shoes" and I would have preferred to work in the same way.

We had an enjoyable visit. Besides discussing the frames and the other customers, we also talked about the Barnabas Collins portrait from Dark Shadows and the Oscar Wilde story, The Picture of Dorian Gray

No comments:

Search This Blog