"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, August 28, 2016

L.A. To Memphis?

Above, Graceland in 2001. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Lately, I have been having thoughts of taking a trip to Memphis, Tennessee. I had been there before with family, but this time I am thinking about going in The Beast.

When I was there last in 2001, we visited Elvis Presley's home, Graceland and Beale Street. But there are other things to see and do in Memphis. We missed seeing Sun Studio.

Today, there's the National Civil Rights Museum (located at the former Lorraine Motel), the Mississippi River, the Rock 'n Soul Museum and other places.



Generally, a road trip to Memphis from L.A. is around 25 hours. Memphis is about 1,800 miles from L.A. through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas along Interstate 40 to Tennessee. Sounds like a dry drive, but the springtime should be an ideal time to go. I think I would take a more northern (and cooler) route on the way back home (such as going through Colorado). But, now that I am retired, I am in no rush.

Near Graceland and behind Elvis Presley's Heartbreak Hotel is the Graceland RV Park & Campground. It looks to be a nice place to stay. It is within walking distance to Graceland.

This is something I'll be thinking about in the months ahead. 

No comments:

Search This Blog