"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

More Trip Planning

Above, the KOA Kampground Directory. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Yesterday, I spent about 2 1/2 hours in The Beast going through my route for my trip to Metropolis, Illinois and seeing what campground and RV parks are available along the way. Thank goodness the temperatures were only in the 70s yesterday, so I was comfortable.

For the most part, I will be taking the Interstates to and from Metropolis. I did notice one error I made. I took Springfield, Missouri for Springfield, Illinois when I was going plotting the route. (I guess I need new reading glasses.) The border lines weren't clearly shown on the map I was using.

But it is no problem. I will head to Springfield, Illinois from Memphis, Tennessee after I leave Metropolis. In the scheme of things, Springfield isn't that far from Memphis. I can reach Springfield from Memphis in a day. Memphis is only about 3 hours from Metropolis.

From Springfield, I can head west, go though St. Louis and Kansas City.

The trip over to Metropolis from Los Angeles will be along Interstate 40 for the most part. The trip back to L.A. will be along Interstate 70 to Colorado. I hope the weather cooperates during this trip.

I am trying to confine my driving to Metropolis to around 400 miles/day. Selecting a campground or RV park is contingent upon whether or not they are still open. Most of the campgrounds along the way are KOA Kampgrounds (I can use my KOA Value Kard points that I've racked up). Some campgrounds, I have found are closed for the season, usually on October 31. So, I had to find ones that are open all year. I also used my Good Sam Campground Directory for finding campgrounds.

Unless I see something interesting to stop at, or need a break, the only attraction stop en route to Metropolis I will be making is Meteor Crater, Arizona. Meteor Crater always makes me think of the 1953 science-fiction classic movie, It Came From Outer Space. The only things missing at the stop would be Theremin music and glistening "snail trails". I'll have to remember to bring the DVD along!

Above, the Grand Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

On the way home from Metropolis, as I mentioned above, will be some "meandering" to Memphis and Springfield. The pace of the trip home will be more leisurely. Then, I will head west along I-70 with stops in Kansas City, the Eisenhower Presidential Library & Museum, Montrose (Colorado), Durango, Mesa Verde National Park, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon National Park.

It should be an interesting trip. It will take roughly two weeks to complete. Since I am retired, I am in no hurry. I was surprised that finding campgrounds along the route took 2 1/2 hours. At least it kept me busy.

No comments:

Search This Blog