"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, November 14, 2016

A Visit With Sen. Greg Smith

Above, the west front of the Kansas Capitol Building. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Well, I made it to Abilene, Kansas, "The Home of President Dwight D. Eisenhower".

I am at the Covered Wagon Campground, a few blocks away from the Eisenhower Library and Museum. I will likely take the tour tomorrow.

I am still waiting for the money transfer, but I have enough to press ahead to Abilene. The transfer will be completed by tomorrow at the latest.

Above, yours truly with Sen. Greg Smith in the Capitol Building.

Before leaving Topeka, I stopped by the State Capitol Building to pay a quick social call on Kansas State Senator Greg Smith (Overland Park). As luck would have it, I arrived at the committee room where Sen. Smith was chairing a committee and found him just outside the room. They just began their lunch break.

He recognized me immediately and we chatted for a while on politics, local and national and other things of interest. Unfortunately, he lost his re-election bid during the primary by an "alleged" Republican moderate (like me, Smith is a conservative). His term ends in January.

Above, a shot of the Capitol with the sun just behind it. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

One thing he told me that I found interesting is that Kansas is neither a Red State or Blue State. He called it a "Purple State". This is probably due to the numbers of moderate Republicans. Kansas may not be as reliable for Republicans as in years past, although Donald Trump won the state last week.

The Kansas State Capitol Building had recently undergone a restoration and it reminded me of the California State Capitol Building in Sacramento.

As I needed to get on to Abilene and Greg probably had a lunch appointment, we said our goodbyes and I proceeded to The Beast.

It was a joy to finally meet him in person.

No comments:

Search This Blog