"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, November 14, 2016

Change of Plans, Etc.

Above, The Beast at the Covered Wagon Campground in Abilene, Kansas. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

A couple of things.

The infusion of cash finally came through. So now I have plenty of dough to get myself home and then some!

I am currently safely "tucked away" at the Covered Wagon Campground in Abilene, Kansas. I'll tour the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum tomorrow. After that, it is onward to Colorado. The owners of the campground must be very trusting souls. The office was closed and all I had to do was to get one of their envelopes, fill out my information, put a check in it and drop it into a red mailbox.

Next, in looking at the AccuWeather website, it appears that the roads may be too rough for The Beast and the temperatures too cold to go to Montrose, Colorado. Instead, it looks like I'll be heading south from Colorado Springs to Pueblo (I was last there in 1987 on insurance claims catastrophe duty for ten days). From Pueblo, I'll head to Durango. It appears to be an easier route to take. This wouldn't be a concern if this were the middle of summer. There's always the chance for some autumn snow in the Rockies.

Eventually, I'll go from Durango (and maybe make a stop at Mesa Verde National Park) to Monument Valley in Utah (location for several John Wayne/John Ford western classics). After Monument Valley, it will be the Grand Canyon and then home from there. If the Durango train is running (the shorter winter season trip) when I get there, I'll take a ride. It has been nearly 30 years since I last did so.

It is hard to believe that it has been two weeks since I started this "little" road trip.

No comments:

Search This Blog