"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Grand Canyon and "Beautiful Needles By The Sea"

Above, the Grand Canyon with the Colorado River flowing through. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This morning, I left the frigid Monument Valley (I enjoyed it anyway) for the equally frigid Grand Canyon National Park. It was also cold there with winds to go along with it.

I drove in through the east entrance after having breakfast at the Cameron Trading Post. That place has been in operation since 1916. They serve great breakfasts and they have a huge (or is it "yuge" these days?) gift shop with all kinds of Indian merchandise.

Thankfully, my golden age pass got me into the park for free. It saved me over $30.

I essentially drove around and stopped at different viewpoints along the canyon rim. I also stopped at the Visitor Center. I don't remember seeing it before, it must be fairly new. I haven't been to the Grand Canyon since 1992. At least I spent more time looking around the Grand Canyon than did Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Vacation.

I was debating on whether to spend the night in nearby Williams or press ahead to Kingman. I decided on neither. Instead, I pressed on to "Beautiful Needles By The Sea" (rather, the Colorado River). I am at the KOA there. My KOA bonus points saved me $10, so the night is only costing me $21. Not too shabby! So, after 3 weeks, I am back in California!

Here's some more photos:

Above, the Watchtower. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the shadows add a lot to this shot. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, The Beast at a viewpoint. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the "yuge" canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the South Rim Visitor Center. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the map in the Visitor Center tells where we're at. Nice to know! Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the Watchtower from a viewpoint. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, The Beast at the Needles KOA. Back in California! Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the Cameron Trading Post. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

No comments:

Search This Blog