"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Smaller RVs Are In Vogue

Above, The Beast at the Flying J Campground near Springfield, Illinois. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Two years ago, I was looking at buying a stock van to convert into a camper. Since I am not all that mechanically inclined to modifications myself, I then began looking at new Class B (van campers) RVs. I never planned to buy used.

I was surprised at the cost of them. They averaged $100,000. I didn't want to spend that much. Plus, there's not much room in them.

Above, Class A, Class B, Class C and travel trailers at Marin RV Park. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Then, I started looking at Class C RVs (Class Cs are so named for the cabover bed) and settled on the 2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R. It is a 23 foot RV that easily fits into my double parking space. That was my main consideration, getting something that would allow me to park both the RV and my car in my apartment building's parking lot. But, it also is roomy enough. It is built on a Ford chassis with a V10 Triton engine. It has plenty of power.

Additionally, the cost of new Class Cs were a lot less than new Class B RVs. I got The Beast for almost half the cost of a new Class B. I paid cash for it, so I had no need for any financing.

According to a recent article in RV Life, the trend in 2016 was that people were buying smaller RVs in greater numbers whether they are motorhomes, travel trailers or truck campers.

They wrote:
Look around any full RV park and you might wonder if more Class Bs and Class Cs are on the highway these days. If so, you would be correct. Choosing smaller RVs on purpose is in vogue according to RV sales trends from 2016.
There's several reasons the article states for this trend. One is the average age of new buyers. They're younger. Another reason: amenities that are now built inside. Additionally, some campgrounds (such as state and national parks) are unable to accommodate larger RVs. There are many places where it is not a good idea to drive a big 40-footer Class A.

It is an interesting article, particularly it is something to look at if one is contemplating buying a new or used RV.

To read the article, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog