"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, February 1, 2018

First Full Day

Above, the morning after at the Shady Oasis Campground in Victorville. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Yesterday was moving day and I am no longer a California resident.

Above, the movers after arriving. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I was hoping to leave in the early afternoon yesterday, but the movers didn't finish loading the truck until around 2:00 and I had to get a new clutch for the Mustang. That wasn't finished until 4:30.

So, due to the above, I got on the road around 5:30. Naturally, that put me in the midst of the evening rush hour.

Above, at this point, the movers were almost done loading. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I decided that I would spend the night in Victorville at the Shady Oasis Campground. It used to be a KOA. I pulled in around 9:00 and self-registered.

Today, I got up and back on the road at about 6:30 in the morning. I decided to have a Tommy's breakfast sandwich for my last California meal in Barstow. After that and taking care of some banking chores in Barstow, I got on Interstate 40 for the trip into Arizona.

Once I reached Arizona, I needed to fill The Beast's gas tank. About 9 miles from the border, there's a Pilot travel center (part of the Flying J) and I filled up there. With my Good Sam discount, I saved an additional five cents per gallon. Arizona's gasoline prices are a dollar less than California's, so, technically, I saved $1.05 per gallon!

Above, my Arizona first stop was to get gas. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I was wondering how long I would last driving after all the moving work of yesterday. As it turns out, I started getting tired just before reaching Seligman, Arizona (home of the Roadkill Cafe). I knew there's a KOA Kampground in Seligman, so I decided to camp there for the night.

The Seligman Route 66 KOA Kampground is a nice place for an overnight stop. It is expected to be freezing tonight, but I am prepared.

Above, The Beast at the Seligman Route 66 KOA. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I am going to try to get out as early as I can so I can reach Jamestown in daylight. If not, maybe I'll just pull in early Saturday morning. 

No comments:

Search This Blog