"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Birthday Celebrating At The Redondo Beach Pier


Above, Denise and I at Old Tony's at the Redondo Beach Pier.

Today, Denise and I headed down to the Redondo Beach Pier to celebrate the 23rd anniversary of my 39th birthday.

She had never been to the pier before and it had been ages since the last time I was there. It was one of my hangouts back in the 1970s and 1980s. I've been wanting to go there for quite a while.

Above, the bar at Old Tony's. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

We got to Redondo Beach by driving along the coast from Dockweiler Beach. We drove through El Porto, Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach before reaching Redondo Beach. Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach looked pretty much as I remembered them, still with their "beachy" charm. We were able to see Catalina Island during the drive. I asked Denise if she had ever been to Catalina. She said she hadn't. We'll have to rectify that this summer!

Above, Old Tony's on the Redondo Beach Pier. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

We had lunch at Old Tony's on the pier. We sat at a window table with a great view of King Harbor. Tony's still looked the same as it always did. It has been in business since 1952. They had a close call in 1988 when much of the Redondo Beach Pier succumbed to a massive fire.

Above, King Harbor and the boat hoists. I remember vividly the boat hoists as my grandfather
 used to take us fishing and would have his boat put into the water here. Photo by Armand Vaquer.
.
After lunch, we wandered around the pier and stopped at Kobe Pearls. Denise has no pearl jewelry and wasn't even aware that pearls even came from oysters. The oysters Kobe has were from the Izu Peninsula in Japan. For $11.00, you can buy an oyster and select it. Once selected, the shopkeeper opens it up to retrieve the pearl inside.

Above, Denise during lunch. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Denise selected an oyster that contained a beautiful golden pearl, one of the nicest I've seen. The shopkeeper said it is worth around $68.00. We had it mounted on a necklace. She has to wait a day for the special glue to properly cure solid before she can wear it.


Above, I am about to blow out the candle on the cake Denise got me.

We then headed back to the Valley. It was nice visiting one of my old "haunts" after so many years. It was great to be back in the South Bay!

No comments:

Search This Blog