"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, April 27, 2018

Up At The Continental Divide

Above, Indian Village Gift Shop. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This afternoon, after picking up my mail at the Flying J, I decided to take a little drive (about 8 miles) east along I-40 to where there are three Indian stores.

I browsed around for a while at the Indian Market (I had purchased a kachina there a couple of months ago), but this time I didn't see anything that caught my eye.

Above, Indian Market. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I then went next door (about 150 yards) to the Indian Village Gift Shop. Again I browsed around and, this time, something did catch my eye. And, it was reasonably priced!

It was a Navajo ceremonial rattle with a white bison (buffalo) at the head:

Above, the Navajo ceremonial rattle. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

According to Mission Del Rey.com:
Native American rattles and shakers as they are known to Native Americans are very important to the Native American western Navajo culture as well as other tribes. An Indian rattle may be used as a dance rattle or to accompany the rhythm of the Native Indian drums. Navajo people as well as nearly every other tribe use rattles in Native American ceremonial rituals.

After purchasing, I wandered a bit and spotted a monument next to the freeway (the stores are on Historic Route 66).

It was commemorating the Continental Divide:

Above, the Continental Divide monument. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

As I just mentioned, the road where the stores are located are on what was Route 66.

Here's a view looking east:

Above, looking east on Historic Route 66. I-40 is at right. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Funny thing about Indian gift shops, whenever I see a sign about Indian blankets, I am reminded of an old movie (it might have been an Abbott & Costello movie) in which an Indian was hawking blankets. Only he was saying, "Get your genuine Indian electric blankets!"

No comments:

Search This Blog