"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Return To Monument Valley?

Above, a map of routes to Monument Valley from Gallup, New Mexico. Photo snapshot by Armand Vaquer.

One the way back from Metropolis, Illinois and Memphis, Tennessee, I stayed a couple of nights at Goulding's Lodge Campground at Monument Valley.

I have a "craving" to go back to Monument Valley this summer. When I was there in November 2016, it got down to below freezing at night and it was cold during the day with gusty winds. It was still enjoyable anyway as I took the half-day tour.

So far, the only planned camping trip is the 2018 UFO Festival in Roswell, New Mexico July 6 - 8. I made reservations some time ago.

Above, yours truly with The Mittens and Merrick Butte. Although an enjoyable
visit, it was very cold and windy in Monument Valley in November 2016. 

The advantage of going to Monument Valley in the summer, besides warm (sometimes hot) weather, the campground's pool would be open and the shuttle to all of the facilities at Goulding's Lodge would be operating. As it was too cold to venture out during my stay and no shuttle service was available, I was not able to take in the nightly John Wayne movies (one filmed in Monument Valley) at Goulding's Lodge or other programs and, perhaps, a meal at the restaurant.

Since I have air conditioning in The Beast, the summer heat won't be too much of a problem.

Above, The Beast at Goulding's Lodge Campground. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

According to Google maps, Monument Valley is a little over a three-hour drive from Gallup, New Mexico.

While I am in the area, I am also considering heading further into the Four Corners to Durango, Colorado and ride the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. I stopped there during the Metropolis trip, but the trains were on hiatus in preparation to start their winter schedule. I haven't rode the train since the 1980s.

I just have to figure out when to go.

No comments:

Search This Blog