"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!

Here's a photo of my dad and me in Morro Bay, California in 1963:



And, on the same trip, my grandfather in his boat:



Both pictures were taken with my first camera, an Imperial Lark. My mom took the top photo and I took the bottom one.

Incidentally, I was going through one of my packing boxes from my move to New Mexico the other day and I found my Imperial Lark camera. My parents got it for me in Spring, 1963.

Here it is:



The Imperial Lark took 127 size Kodak film. I used it for years until I got a Kodak Instamatic. Even if it still worked (it might, I don't know), I doubt one can find that sized film roll today.

That camera got me started as a chronic shutter-bug!

On the Imperial Lark (from Camera Wiki):
The Lark is a 1960s plastic camera from Imperial (formerly Herbert George) of Chicago, Illinois. It appears to be a revision of the Imperial Mark 27 but with a restyled top housing which includes a "bug eye" flash reflector for flashbulbs. It exposes images 4×4 cm square onto 127 film, advanced with a knob on the camera bottom.

At Historic Camera:
The Imperial Lark camera was originally manufactured by the Herbert George Company of Chicago Illinois in the 1950s and later by the Imperial Camera Corporation. It was a simple and inexpensive snap shot camera made of plastic that incorporated the view finder and flash unit as part of the camera. It featured a simple fixed focus meniscus lens, and a switch to adjust the aperture for color or black and white film. It was capable of capturing 2 X 2 inch color slides, kodacolor or B&W pictures on number 127 roll film. It used the small No. AG-1 flash bulbs sometimes called "jelly beans" bulbs. It was priced at approximately $4.79. 

It's amazing that it retailed for under $5.00!

No comments:

Search This Blog