"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, October 13, 2018

New Mexico U.S. Senate Debate



Last night, I watched the debate between the three U.S. Senate candidates for New Mexico on KOAT-TV (with a bowl of popcorn). Taking part were Senator Martin Heinrich (Democrat), contractor Mick Rich (Republican) and ex-Governor Gary Johnson (Libertarian). It was also broadcast on C-SPAN.

Unlike the article in the Albuquerque Journal (a debate co-sponsor), I didn't find it all that "rollicking". But they did recount what transpired pretty well.

My impressions of the debate were that Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson came off buffoonish. Some may wonder, "Is he on drugs or something?" At one point he responded to Sen. Heinrick with "B.S." and later used the term "screwed". I cannot recall anyone using such terms in a debate in my 40+ years in politics. I had to wonder if Johnson was always like that and how did he get elected and re-elected as governor.

This is the first campaign for Mick Rich and I thought he could have used some (or more) pre-debate coaching. This was probably his first debate as a candidate. He is a good man (I met him in Gallup at a townhall meeting a few months ago) and easily my preferred candidate. He did manage to get his points in, but his delivery of such could have been stronger (I thought he was too polite). He needed this debate so break out of the pack so voters could take notice of him. I don't know if he accomplished that.

Sen. Heinrich came off too smooth to the point that he seemed wooden standing there like a mannequin. The only times he seemed to come alive were when Johnson came after him. When the others stated that Heinrich was for open borders, he didn't refute it. Will it hurt him? Who knows?

The format for the debate worked pretty well (considering it was in a one-hour time slot) so that all three candidates had plenty and equal time to give their positions and question each other. There were no commercials during the hour, which was good.

Was there a winner? I would say no, it was pretty even for all three. None delivered any knock-out punches.

No comments:

Search This Blog