"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 In New Mexico

Above, the three mesas across the valley from Jamestown. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

With the exception of my little heart episode in Wells, Nevada in July, 2018 has been a good year.

The heart attack came as a big surprise (to put it mildly), but thanks to quick action by Mitch Geriminsky and the paramedics, along with the stents installed in Twin Falls, Idaho, I am fully recovered. The only thing I had to do differently is take my meds and modify my diet. I am lucky it happened where and when it did.

Above, this snow fell while I was living in The Beast. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After 12 days living in The Beast while waiting for the movers to bring my stuff, I am now in a new place of residence out of Commiefornia. So far, I am enjoying life in Jamestown, New Mexico. There's plenty of things to see and do and I have made many friends. A group of us generally meet up every morning at Denny's in the Flying J travel center down the hill for breakfast or just coffee. Our community is called Whispering Cedars. I know more of my neighbors here than I did while living in Tarzana for 19 years.

During the warm months, I generally relax under the umbrella on the deck watching the traffic down below on Interstate 40 and the trains across the valley.

Above, in the hospital following my stent procedure. Photo by Mitch Geriminsky.

I did some "fixing up" at the house. I had the exterior of the house and deck painted. I also had a RV garage built, called the GOCO Beast Barn (GOCO = Garage of Comparative Ovations). The Beast hasn't moved in yet as I have been using it as a second vehicle while the Mustang is in the body shop. That is taking an eternity to get completed. As a hat tip to a road in the Acton, California area, I called the road on the second acre Barking Spider Road.

Above, the house during the summer. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

From Memorial Day to Labor Day, there are nightly Indian dances in the McKinley County Courthouse in Gallup. I went to several and brought Mitch and Jess to one each. There are rodeos and the Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial at Red Rock Park. Weather permitting, there is also a Red Rock Balloon Rally. This year's didn't see any balloon ascensions due to weather. In Gallup, there is also the UFO Film Festival.

Above, an Ohkay Oelinge Indian dancer. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, one of the rodeos I attended at Red Rock Park. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

In June, since I couldn't find anything I liked for the living room wall space above the sofa, I commissioned Asya to do a painting of the "Three Mesas" across the valley from Jamestown. It came out great and it has received a lot of praise.

Above, the "Three Mesas" painting. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

In early July, Jess and I went to Roswell for the annual UFO Festival and toured the International UFO Museum and Research Center.

Above, yours truly with a couple of friends at the Roswell UFO Festival.

I have joined a small group of local civic activists and historians for monthly dinner parties. Out last dinner was last evening.

Above, the GOCO Beast Barn and Barking Spider Road. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I attended two clampouts with the Lost Dutchman Chapter of E Clampus Vitus. That is now my new home chapter as their territory is Arizona and New Mexico.

Above, yours truly with Max Bettman and Mitch Geriminsky in Las Vegas at the Peppermill restaurant.

In November, I headed off to Las Vegas for a few days of fun with Mitch and Max Bettman. I hadn't seen Max in years. We had a good time.

It is interesting to live in a climate where snow is quite common and during the summer months, monsoons bring thunderstorms on a regular basis with spectacular shows of lightning.

Above, the building of the GOCO Best Barn. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Sierra likes her new home here as she has plenty of space to run around in. I am also feeding some stray cats. One has gotten used to me and is quite friendly.

Above, Sierra on her tower. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I didn't take any long (duration-wise) camping trips except for the trips to Wells and Roswell, but have done some RV park camping in Abuquerque whenever I need a haircut or take care of business.

Above, one can usually find me relaxing on the deck during warm weather. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Last week, I headed to Wildomar, California to spend Christmas at my cousin Maria's. It was a stressful trip due to the blizzard that hit New Mexico, causing flight cancellations and re-bookings. I was lucky to get a flight out of Phoenix before the blizzard hit New Mexico.

What does 2019 have in store? We'll see.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Search This Blog