"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, December 20, 2018

RV Night Driving

Above, about to head home from Albuquerque International Sunport. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Since I bought The Beast in 2015, night driving for me has been a rare occurrence. The last time I drove at night was after I flew back to Albuquerque from Las Vegas (via Los Angeles). I arrived in Abuquerque near midnight and I was debating on driving part way and sleep or drive all the way. I ended up driving all the way.

Generally, I try to get to a campground in the afternoon before the sun sets. I don't like driving at night and I detest setting up camp in the dark. On occasion, I do get on the road before sunrise. 

However, should one find themselves doing any kind of driving in the dark, RV Life has some useful tips on making the drive safer.

They begin with:
Nighttime travel, particularly along remote roads where obstacles and wildlife may be found, can be treacherous.  The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that nighttime driving fatalities occur three times more frequently than that of daytime driving. 
During low light times, the human eye has a more difficult time with depth perception, color determination, and peripheral vision. 
Additionally, as we age, our night vision deteriorates, increasing our risk.  Eye strain and fatigue can also lead to dangerous drowsy driving.  These tips can help improve overall safety for driving after dark.
To read more, go here

No comments:

Search This Blog