"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Japan Cheapo: Guide To Matsushima

Above, a view of Matsushima Bay islets from a tour boat. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Thirteen years ago, I took a shinkansen from Tokyo to Sendai so I could visit the area where my dad was briefly stationed before being sent to South Korea during he Korean War. I spent a couple of days wandering around Matsushima and Sendai. After this, I headed back to Tokyo to attend the premiere of Gamera The Brave.

Above, my dad at Matsushima in 1951. 

One of the prized family photos is one of my dad standing in front of the Godaido Temple at Matsushima Bay in his MP uniform. During my visit, I had one of the locals take a similar photo of me.

Above, yours truly in front of Godaido temple in 2006.

During my visit to Matsushima, I took a boat tour of the bay, which included passing around the many tiny islets.

Japan Cheapo has a guide to Matsushima that should prove to be useful for first time visitors.

They begin it with:
A short train ride out of the city of Sendai lies Matsushima in Miyagi Prefecture. A small town on an island-dotted bay so beautiful that it rendered famous poet Matsuo Basho speechless. And not much left Basho lost for words: he managed a haiku about this gorgeous place, after all. Four hundred years later, Matsushima has lost none of its charms. Still considered one of the Three Great Views of Japan, the Bay of Pines rewards visitors with temples, bridges, caves and islands, with a view at every turn. In this article we explore the temple complex of Zuiganji, the island of Fukuurajima, and a one or two other drawcards.

To read more, go here

No comments:

Search This Blog