"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, July 20, 2019

50th Anniversary of the First Moon Landing

Above, the iconic photo of Edwin Aldrin on the moon with Neil Armstrong seen reflected on his visor. NASA photo.

Today marks the half-century anniversary of the first moon landing by the crew of Apollo 11 on July 20, 1969.

The milestone by astronauts Neil Armstrong, Edwin Aldrin and Mike Collins is arguably mankind's greatest achievement. If not, it certainly ranks in the top five (or top two).

Those were exciting times. I remember them well. I have always been a fan of the U.S. Space Program. We were gathered around the television set at home watching the moonwalk live. Seeing images broadcast from the moon was quite an achievement itself.

Above, Edwin Aldrin climbing down the Lunar Module's ladder. NASA photo.

For the past week and a half, I have watched several documentaries of the mission of Apollo 11. It dawned on me that we were doing this 30 years ago during the 20th anniversary. I remember watching A & E's "Apollo 11: As It Happened", hosted by Edwin Newman with my then-two-year-old daughter Amber on my lap. It is hard to believe it has been 30 years since then.

Today, while watching the new documentaries, I get a feeling of both pride in the achievement, but also a little sense of melancholy when I think of family members who were alive in 1969 but have passed on since. Both of my parents, three of four grandparents and all my aunts, uncles and cousins were alive then. Today, both of my parents, all of my grandparents, three cousins and all aunts and uncles, except for one aunt, are no longer alive. Time has certainly taken its toll.

Above, Apollo 11 Command Module Columbia as seen from the Lunar Module Eagle. NASA photo.

I was 15 in July 1969 and attending high school in Hawthorne, California. I remember audio-taping the July 16, 1969 launch on cassette. I still have it.

As I mentioned in another blog post, a wristwatch depicting the moon landing I got at the time still worked when I wound it today.

Today is the day to savor the 50th anniversary. 

No comments:

Search This Blog