"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Back From G-FEST XXVI

Above, J. D. Lees and yours truly with the "peace pipe". Photo by Reagan Lees.

A day late, but I finally got back home from G-FEST XXVI (the premiere Godzilla/kaiju convention) in Rosemont, Illinois (an outskirt of Chicago and near O'Hare International Airport) at about 1:45 this morning.

I was originally set to fly out Sunday night, but at about 20 minutes before boarding time, my flight was cancelled. So, I ended up leaving last evening. At least it was a nonstop flight to Albuquerque International Airport and The Beast was waiting for me for the 120 mile drive home.

I had a good time at G-FEST, especially for seeing many friends, some for the first time in years.

I will go into deeper detail on the experience later. My main surprise (well, not really a surprise) was seeing how big the convention had grown in 10 years. In years past, when I was involved, we averaged around 1,500 attendees. This year, that number tripled.

With some additions (restaurants, bars, etc.), the old Crowne Plaza looked about the same to me. I think the convention has outgrown the hotel.

Above, the inspiration for the top photo. Former President Gerald Ford and former Gov. Ronald Reagan in 1980.

After arriving at the Crowne Plaza (I stayed at the Candlewood Suites, which worked out great for me as I had my own kitchen to cook breakfast and save some cash), I ran into the Lees family in the Chicago Fire Oven restaurant. I was invited over and we caught up on a few things. I took the opportunity to present J.D. Lees with a Navajo pipe (sort of a peace pipe). This was inspired by a gesture by former Governor Ronald Reagan in presenting a peace pipe to former President Gerald Ford at the 1980 GOP National Convention.

I received a lot of "welcome backs" from old friends during the weekend. Yes, it was nice to be back, although the old stamina wasn't what it used to be 10 years ago. Oh, well.

Yes, it felt great to be back and it also feels good to be back home.

No comments:

Search This Blog