"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, August 10, 2019

This Year's Gallup Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial

Above, jewelry, pottery, rugs and other Native American crafts on display. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Following the plaque dedication and the after-gathering in the bar of the El Rancho Hotel & Motel, I headed over to Red Rock Park to check out the exhibits and rodeo of the Gallup Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial.

The park was almost filled to capacity when I got there. There was a long line of cars waiting to enter the park. After paying for parking and admission, I found a parking spot and was shuttled over to an area near where pow-wows were being held.

I made my way over to the Exhibit Hall where I perused the art contest entries. There were a lot of nice artworks on display, each had a price.

From there, I went over to the outdoor vendor area and then the main Exhibit Hall where more vendors were located and displays of Native American rugs, kachinas, jewelry and other crafts.

After a while inside, I went over to the rodeo arena and watched the barrel racing and team roping events. Although it was warm out, I did notice storm clouds were heading into the area. I decided that I should head home (I was a little tired after the plaque dedication and walking around) before traffic gets backed up at Exit 39 due to the road and bridge construction and the weather.

I drove east on old Route 66 to the Iyanbito bridge and then got onto Interstate 40 and got home in reasonable time with a thunderstorm in progress. It was a good thing I left when I did.

It was an enjoyable day.

Photos:

Above, the tractor towing our shuttle wagon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the pow-wow area. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above and below, rugs of all sizes on display. Photos by Armand Vaquer.


Above, artworks on display. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a Massey Ferguson tractor on display. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a barrel race contestant. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the team roping event. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a team roping contentant didn't fare too well: he fell off his horse. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, these team roping contestants fared better. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, RRR Traders, one of the outdoor vendors. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

No comments:

Search This Blog