"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, November 11, 2019

A Pleasant Veterans Day

Above, the U.S. and Gadsden flags were up today. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Veterans Day today was rather relaxing and educational.

Before heading for our usual coffee gathering at Denny's in the Flying J, I put the flagpole and flags outside in honor of our veterans.

Then, after that, I headed down to the Flying J. We were there a while longer than usual as the five of us were discussing some interesting topics that included hunting, deer attacks, rabbits, antique barbed wire, cattle in Six Mile Canyon and other parts of Cibola National Forest, weather, horses, cattle branding, rustling, and land boundaries and surveying. Being a "city-slicker", there was much that I learned today. I found it all fascinating.

Above, yes, those are golf balls serving as 4-wheel drive shift knobs. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

During the topic of rustling, I mentioned some history of the western San Fernando Valley. I told the group of the hanging tree in Calabasas and the story of Sadring Ave.*, which was once the route that condemned criminals were taken to be hanged. The hanging tree existed until 1995.

After coffee, I headed home and relaxed for a while and listened to Rush Limbaugh (he was actually working today).

Before the show was over, I decided to head down to the Flying J in the Jeep to top off the gas tank. I put gas in yesterday, but didn't fill it up as the credit card slots on the gas pumps weren't working right. So I just put in four gallons. Regardless, it is great that I no longer have to put up with the ridiculous gasoline prices in California (around $4.00/gallon) and just paid $2.509 with my Good Sam discount.

Above, fueling up at the Flying J. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Then, I drove around in the Jeep for a bit. I went over by the entrance gate and corral at Six Mile Canyon. While driving, I studied the antique barbed wire fencing along the way. Whomever has the land adjacent to Cibola National Forest for cattle grazing, they need to do some fence mending as part of the fencing was down.

Speaking of fencing and cattle, some years back, someone stole long sections of barbed wire fencing along Six Mile Canyon Road and cattle ended up invading out community. This was told during our morning coffee gathering. No wonder there are cattle guards at the entrance (from I-40) to our community and at the I-40 on/off ramps.

All in all, an enjoyable day.

*As told to me by an XSNGH of E Clampus Vitus.

No comments:

Search This Blog