ARMAND'S RANCHO DEL CIELO PAGES

▼

Thursday, May 7, 2020

Made It Through "Checkpoint Charlie"

Above, the checkpoint at Exit 20 (Munoz Blvd.) of westbbound Interstate 40. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This morning, I had to get a few grocery items. First, I considered going to Grants, which is about 45 miles east. Then, since I heard that Jamestown is considered a part of Gallup (even though were about 19 miles away), I decided to take a chance to see if I could go to the market there.

So, I headed off a couple of hours ago.

I exited the eastern-most exit (considered East Gallup) and there wasn't a checkpoint at the exit. However, the state police had the checkpoint (I call it "Checkpoint Charlie" after the former one in Germany) on Historic Route 66. I was prepared to show the New Mexico State Police my driver's license when I approached. But, when I got to them, all they asked me was where in town I was going to. All I said was, "Albertson's" and they let me through. No problem!

It was a good thing I went when I did. Between the hours of 7:00 and 9:00 on Thursdays, seniors get a 10% discount on groceries. Sometimes age has its advantages!

Unless things changed over the past 24 hours, the lockdown of Gallup is supposed to end at noon today.

No comments:

Post a Comment